No, that is not my dinner table. My kitchen table has been transformed into a light table for the last several months. I love it, but I know it needs to return (soon) to a dining area.
I wandered through IKEA recently, brainstorming about ways to help my home function more effectively in this next educational/developmental phase of my family's life. I think I really want a round table in my kitchen, so that first picture is a bit of dream building for me.
I also know that in order to have my life function the way I desire, I have to be more organized and efficient. I have decided that meal planning is the best next step for me to take. SOOOOO....here we go! I have browsed the grocery store ads, but as I do much of my shopping at Trader Joe's and Costco, I am not sure that is even necessary.
- MEXICAN MONDAY Fish Tacos with cabbage slaw, mango-pineapple salsa and guacamole (This is a family favorite. I cut the fish in cubes and fry it in olive oil with garlic salt and cumin. The last minute or two I throw in a few slices of lime, and fry that too. The cabbage slaw is cabbage, lime juice, sour cream and garlic to taste. The salsa is sliced pineapple and mango with lime juice, cilantro and red or orange bell peppers. Add the guacamole and this a HEALTHY family meal!!)
- CROCK POT TUESDAY Artichoke, mushroom chicken with rice and a salad. (I teach Bible Study on Tuesday Nights, so if I prep dinner in the morning it works best for my family.) Boneless chicken breast, either one can or a cup and a half of artichoke hearts, and sliced mushrooms in the crock pot on low for the day. I make rice and the salad just before dinner.
- SIMPLE WEDNESDAY Grilled Avocado and Cheese Sandwiches, baby carrots and fruit. (Based on my week's schedule, by today I will be a bit tired and need to spend the day catching my house up! Plus, I have a few ministry appointments...so keeping it simple makes sense!)
- PASTA THURSDAY Spaghettini with basil, tomatoes, garlic and olive oil and a salad. I am trying to use whole wheat pasta. I have absolutely no idea what good that does for anything, except it makes me feel like I am trying to be healthier for my family!
- BURGER FRIDAY NIGHT This past spring I wanted to develop the discipline of fasting. I fasted on Fridays, until 6:00 pm, and focused on specific prayer items as I did it. I would "break" the fast with delicious bbq'd cheeseburgers made by my hubby. This has become a family tradition! Burger Fridays...we LOVE them.
- SATURDAY...Leftovers This Saturday I have to work. (I work at a local restaurant 4 days a month.) This means I will be up before 5:00 am, and will have a 9-10 hour day. Realistically, I won't be cooking! However, we should have leftovers!! As I am wanting to throw away far less food than I have in the past, scheduling in the time to eat the leftovers, and actually doing it whether I am in the mood or not, needs to become a priority.
- SUNDAY Roasted Chicken and salad. Here is the recipe: YUMMY! I don't use the fennel. (Your house will smell so good!) If it is hot, I may try to eat outside, as the oven will be warming up the inside. However, there is something about the smell of that roasted chicken in the oven on a Sunday afternoon that makes the "family feel" I love!
What are your goals? Let me know how it goes, and I will do the same.
"God gives out wisdom free, is plainspoken in Knowledge and Understanding. He's a rich mine of Common Sense for those who live well, and a personal bodyguard to the candid and sincere. He keeps his eye on all who live honestly, and pays special attention to His loyally committed ones." Proverbs 2:7-10 The Message